This recipe is designed to allow you to create your own variety of scones that will entice your tastebuds. This recipe is one that my son loves to help come up with new flavor profiles and varieties and really get in there and get his hands dirty. For this go around we created Lemon Poppyseed and Double Chocolate Chip Scones. With the Double Chocolate Scones I substituted applesauce for eggs. This recipe is a huge hit with all my kids, sensory friendly for them as well. They like how fluffy it is and that it does not seem gritty with the Gluten-Free Flour Blend I use, as this is an issue we have with gluten-free sometimes. I encourage you to really have fun and play with this recipe, you never know what you can create. Let’s start with the base recipe:
2 cups Gluten-Free Flour Blend
2 tablespoons Sugar
1 tablespoon Baking Powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup almond milk
almond milk (to brush the tops of the scones with)
turbinado sugar (to sprinkle on tops of scones)
Powdered sugar(optional if glaze desired)
Any desired flavoring options (see below for ideas)
Some notes on possible substitutions:
– if you need to make this an egg-free recipe you can substitute the following for the 1 egg
– 1/4 cup applesauce with 1/2 tsp baking powder
– 1/4 cup mashed banana (this will cause the scones to have a slightly noticeable banana flavor)
Now let’s start making them
- Mix together in a bowl the following ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, salt.
2. Using your fingers, gently cut the shortening into the flour mixture by rubbing your fingers together into the mixture. This will cause the shortening pieces to break up into little fragments. This is essential in helping to create fluffy layers.
3. Add any flavor components that you will be using for your scones. (See recommended listings on chart below)
|Chocolate Chip||1/2 cup mini chocolate chips|
|Double Chocolate||1/2 cup mini chocolate chips||2 tbsp Cocoa Powder||1 tbsp almond milk|
|Lemon Poppyseed||1 tbsp Poppyseed||Zest of 1 Lemon||2 tbsp Lemon Juice|
|Cranberry Orange||1/2 cup dried cranberries||Zest of 1 Orange|
|Blueberry Lemon||1/2 cup blueberries||Zest of 1 Lemon||1 tbsp Lemon Juice|
|Snickerdoodle||1 tbsp Cinnamon||1 tsp Vanilla extract|
4. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the egg and milk
5. Mix together with a spoon until a dough forms.
6. Gently form a ball and place onto a floured surface.
7. Lightly kneed the dough with your finger tips until it comes together.
8. Roll out into a ball about a 1/2 inch thick.
9. Cut into 8 wedges.
10. Place onto cookie sheet and brush the tops with almond milk and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Bake at 425F for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
11. Once cooled down you can make a glaze to top them with. All you need to do is take some powdered sugar and just enough almond milk to make the consistency you want. You can flavor them however you like.