If you had to ask me what I thought was the most versatile food on the planet, my answer would have to be stir fry. The whole concept is just amazing. You take some meat, veggies, seasonings, and mix them together and serve them on whatever vessel you desire. The versatility and flexibility that stir fry provides is pretty much unmatched. No matter what portion of the Color me Sensible diet you fall on, you can create the perfect stir fry for your liking. This is definitely a dish that you can customize to your favorite flavors and have so much fun doing it. I have included a recipe here that is a general guideline for how to make a stir fry. Feel free to get your imagination going.
Stir Fry for All
1 pound Top Round Steak
1/2 medium onion
1/2 medium green bell pepper
1 celery stalk
1 medium carrot
1/2 yellow squash
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp olive oil
- You can substitute out any veggies or meat for the ingredients I have listed. Remember my recipe is a guideline only. Get creative and make it your own.
- Stir fry can be served over rice, noodles, lettuce, or whatever else you would like
- You can buy precut stir fry veggie mixes in the frozen food sections if you have a hard time getting fresh produce. Those mixes work really well for a quick stir fry if you need to throw something together real quick.
- You can also precut your meat and veggies, portion them in bags, and freeze them for quick dinner throw togethers. You can plan out several different types and have them ready for when you need to throw dinner together real quick.
Now that you have gotten your imagination flowing. Let’s get started!
- Gather your vegetables and make sure that they are washed off.
2. Cut vegetables into thin strips. Try to make sure that they are around the same thickness and size in order to ensure that they cook through properly.
3. Place olive oil into saute pan and heat over medium heat.
4. Take out meat and trim any fat necessary from meat.
5. Cut meat into thin strips.
6. Sprinkle seasoning on meat.
7. Add prepped meat into the prepared saute pan.
8. Saute the meat until halfway cooked through.
9. Add minced garlic and continue to saute until meat is almost cooked through.
10. Add your veggies to the mix and stir often to saute.
11. Cook together until the vegetables are tender and the meat is completely cooked through.
12. Serve your stir fry over your choice of base. Whether it is rice, noodles, lettuce, etc.