I don’t know about you, but when I think about lasagna, I think about my mom spending hours in front of the stove to create this amazing masterpiece that would make Garfield drool. Growing up, lasagna was a treat meal. With a large family, it was hard to afford to make lasagna too often due to the cost of the ingredients. If there was one dish that I was upset about not being to have after my surgery, it was lasagna. The creaminess, the savoriness, all the yumminess. I knew this had to be remedied. So I sought out to create a lasagna that not only tasted great, but was a meal that I could eat without worry. With some creative ingenuity, I managed to do just that.
3 Vegan Burger Patties
9 Gluten-Free Lasagna Noodles
1 jar Spaghetti Sauce
1 package Vegan Mozzarella Cheese Shredded
1 container Non-Dairy Cottage Cheese
1 medium Green Bell Pepper
1 medium Carrot
1 medium Yellow Squash
1/2 a medium Onion
- You can change around the veggies if you like, You can even add more as well. Make it your own.
- While I used cottage cheese for mine, You can also use ricotta cheese. There is a whole line of products available made from almond milk that is vegan and delicious.
Alright now, tie up your apron, straighten your cap, and let’s get started!
1.Gather up your veggies, making sure to wash them off.
2. Dice up the Yellow Squash, Green Bell Pepper, and Onion. Grate the carrot.
3. Place the Vegan Burger Patties in a prepared saucepot on medium heat.
4. Cook the vegan patties making sure to chop up the patties into small pieces.
5. Add the veggies to the burger mix and continue to cook over medium heat.
6. Cook the veggies and patty mix together until the veggies are tender. Add small amounts of water if needed in order to prevent the mix from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
7. Using a small amount of olive oil, grease a casserole dish that will fit the lasagna noodles.
8. Spread a small amount of the pasta sauce in the bottom of the casserole dish.
9. Place 3 of the lasagna noodles side-by-side in the bottom of the casserole dish. Make sure that the noodles do not overlap, in order to ensure that they cook properly.
10. Spread half of the patty/veggie mix over the noodles in the pan.
11. Spread half the container of non-dairy cottage cheese over the patty/veggie mix.
12. Spread pasta sauce over the other layers in the pan, making sure that all parts have sauce on them.
13. Sprinkle cheese over the layers to cover the sauce.
14. Repeat steps 9-13.
15. Place last 3 noodles on top of casserole. Add sauce to cover and sprinkle with cheese to top.
16. Bake in oven at 350F for approximately 20-25 minutes. You want to cook lasagna until the cheese on top begins to melt, the sauce is bubbling, and the lasagna has cooked to at least 165F.
16. Once the lasagna is done, you want to remove from oven and let sit for at least 10-15 minutes so that way the juices can settle before you cut it open.