Every Christmas Eve, my kids and I set out to make cookies for Santa. We have always waited for that day, so Santa could get extra fresh cookies and special hot chocolate to keep him warm on his journey. My children have always wanted to make sure that Santa kept warm so he would not get sick riding through the snow. Of course we can’t leave out the reindeer who are working so hard to help. So, we leave them a bowl of water and carrots to enjoy and boost their energy back up. Coming up to the holidays, I knew I just had to find a recipe and adapt it so we could keep our tradition alive and enjoy making cookies for us and Santa.
After several attempts with my willing family elves, I finally found got the recipe just how it needed to be. Never fear! These sugar cookies are just what Mrs. Claus asked for. So let’s start by gathering the ingredients.
Mrs. Claus’s Sensible Rolled Sugar Cookies
- 3 cups Gluten-Free Flour
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup Vegan Butter, unsalted
- You can substitute for the egg in order to make this recipe Vegan as well (I would lean towards using Banana as the substitute as it will add creaminess)
- If you do want to eliminate the almond extract, you can just substitute with vanilla extract or another flavored extract that can add some extra flavor, for instance lemon extract
- You can ice these cookies any way you desire, or just add sprinkles for a festive holiday look
Alright, so now that we have all our ingredients together, let’s get the hot chocolate warmed up and get started
1)Preheat the oven to 350F
2) Bring together the butter and sugar. Place into a mixing bowl and cream together until light and fluffy.
3) Add in the extracts and egg into the mixing bowl. Mix until combined.
4) Bring together the baking powder, salt, and gluten-free flour. Place into a bowl and mix together.
5) Add the flour mixture to the mixing bowl a little at a time
6) Mix until thoroughly combined.
7) Place dough onto slightly floured surface and kneed until smooth and together.
8)Roll out the dough to about 1/4″ thickness onto a lightly floured surface.
9) Using a cookie cutter, cut out your favorite shapes.
10) Place onto cookies sheets, separated by about 2″.
11) Bake at 350F for 6-8 minutes or until lightly golden brown. (This time depends upon your individual oven settings)
12) Cool completely on a wire rack.
13) Once cooled completely, decorate your cookies with icing.
14) Let icing dry completely.