Nothing says the holiday season to me more than the smell of gingerbread cooking! Some people could say that I am just a little obsessed with gingerbread men. I wouldn’t go that far, but I do truly enjoy decorating with the little guys during the holidays. Gingerbread men provide such an air of whimsy and childhood innocence. Well, and then there is that fun element of creativity to create each and every one.
I knew that my mission was to create a recipe that my family and I could thoroughly enjoy my gingerbread this holiday season. After much researching and finagling, I was finally able to find a recipe that just was too good for words. So, let’s get this party started and gather up some ingredients.
Oh My! Gingerbread Puffs
- 3/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packaged brown sugar
- 1 lg egg (room temp)
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups Gluten-Free Flour
- 1/2 tsp Xanthum Gum (ONLY USE IF NOT IN YOUR GF FLOUR BLEND)
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp Ground Allspice
- 6 tbsp sugar (FOR ROLLING)
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2-4 tsp Almond Milk
- If you are using a Gluten-Free Flour blend that has Xanthum Gum in it, do not add the 1/2 tsp Xanthum Gum in the recipe
- The almond milk can be replaced with another alternative milk if necessary.
Alright, now that we have our ingredients together. Let’s gather up the Gingerbread Man before he can run off and let’s get started!
1)Gather up the Vegan Butter, Sugar, and Brown Sugar. Place into mixing bowl and cream until light and fluffy.
2) Add the Egg, Molasses, and Vanilla Extract into the mixing bowl. Mix until well blended.
3) Gather up the Gluten-Free Flour, Baking Soda, Salt, Ground Ginger, Ground Cinnamon, Ground Nutmeg, and Ground Allspice. Place all the ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix together.
4) Little by little, add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until well combined.
5) Chill the dough in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
6) Preheat the oven to 350F.
7) Add 6 tbsp sugar into a small bowl.
8) Using a cookie scoop, scoop the dough and roll into balls.
9) Roll the dough balls into sugar and place them on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Place the dough balls 2″ apart.
10) Dip the bottom of a glass into the sugar and use it flatten the dough balls.
11) Bake the cookies at 350F for 8-10 minutes or until set and browned.
12) Cool on a wire rack.
13) Gather together the Powdered Sugar, Vanilla extract, and Almond Milk for the icing. Add the Vanilla Extract to the Powdered Sugar. Add the Almond Milk in small amounts only adding enough to get to the consistency that you prefer for decorating.
14) Once cookies are completely cooled, drizzle icing on half of the cookie and add sprinkles.
15) Let icing set and dry.