Let’s be honest. When it comes to comfort foods, macaroni & cheese is at the top of a lot of people’s list. The cheesy, savory dish is a staple item for kids and adults alike. There is something super comforting about warm cheesy pasta goodness when you are really wanting to just feel at home. For the longest time, macaroni & cheese was one of the only items that my son would eat. As time went on, I tried to make versions of mac & cheese that was more nutritious than just your typical boxed variety. This would help me to know that he was getting some important nutrition and helping not cause a complete sensory overload.
When I had to make the move to gluten and dairy free, I was ultimately not prepared to give up my mac & cheese. Well after almost a year of sulking and wishing I could have macaroni & cheese that would not put me in the hospital, I finally decided to just suck it up and figure it out. So my mission was on to create a macaroni & cheese that not only I could eat, but my family would go gagga for. This recipe is not only designed for those people who must adhere to the Color Me Sensible Diet lifestyle, but will also be a great resource for sensory diets. Well, let’s get some ingredients…
Sensibly Decadent Macaroni & Cheese
- 2 tbsp Gluten-Free Cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Salt
- 1/2 tsp Ground Mustard
- 1/4 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 2 1/4 cups Almond Milk
- 2 cups Shredded Non-Dairy Cheddar Cheese
- 8 oz Gluten-Free Elbow Pasta (cooked and cooled)
- 1/2 cup Roasted Butternut Squash
- You may Choose any shape pasta you want, or even a different type of gluten-free pasta like a lentil pasta to change it up
- Almond Milk can be substituted with another dairy alternative as desired
- While this recipe I used Cheddar style Cheese, there are so many possibilities!! Use Swiss-Style, Cheddar Jack-Style, or any variety you choose. Imagine the possibilities!
- If you want to make this an even more amazing side dish you can add some mix-ins that will help create an amazing profile. Some ideas include: diced ham, broccoli, diced kielbasa, cubed chicken, and so much more!
Now that you have your creative juices going… Let’s get started!
1)Gather together the Ground Mustard, Ground Black Pepper, Garlic Salt, and Cornstarch.
2) In a medium saucepan, combine the Ground Mustard, Ground Black Pepper, Garlic Salt, and Cornstarch. Mix together well.
3) Slowly stir in the Almond Milk and whisk until smooth.
4) Turn the heat onto medium and heat mixture until boiling. Make sure you whisk the mixture to prevent scorching on the bottom. Keep on heat and mix until thickened.
5) Gather up the Butternut Squash and whisk into the milk mixture. Make sure to stir completely.
6) Remove the mixture from the heat. Gather up the shredded cheese and mix into the milk mixture. Whisk together until the cheese is melted completely.
7) Prepare the Gluten-Free Pasta per package directions.
8) In a large saucepan, place the cooked Gluten-Free Pasta into it. Pour the cheese mixture into the pot with the pasta in it. Stir completely in order to make sure the mixture is evenly mixed.